Hear the Word
Read the Word
- The One Year Bible (NLT, NIV)
- Bible Reading Plans (on YouVersion)
- Life Application Study Bible (NLT, NIV, NASB)
- English Standard Version Study Bible
Study the Word
- Blueletterbible.org (free website)
- Biblegateway.com (free website)
- Biblestudytools.com (free website)
- Biblicaltraining.org (free Bible classes online)
My Favorite Commentaries:
- Warren Wiersbe Bible Commentary (OT, NT)
- NIV Application Commentary
- New American Commentary
- Tyndale Commentary (OT, NT)
Bible Classes at Vineyard Church:
(register for any of these classes by clicking here)
- Vineyard Bible Exploration (VBX) Classes (several to choose from each semester)
- Alpha (10-week class w/ free meal; topical approach to the Bible)
- Vineyard Institute Biblical Studies Track
Memorize the Word
Different people learn differently. Some are visual learners, some auditory, some musical, some kinesthetic… Here are some suggestions for memorizing…
- Write it out multiple times and review it. Make sure to write it the way you see it in the Bible so you preserve the visual structure.
- Recite in chunks.
- Repetition (short frequent sessions: 12 five minute sessions are better than one 60 minute session)
- Record yourself and recite with yourself.
- Make a song out of the scripture.
- Make up movements that go along with the scripture (interpretive dance).
- Review with others alternating verses.
- You will memorize something and then you will forget it. Then you’ll re-memorize it and it will take a bit shorter time than the first. This process continues several times until you have it so memorized that you no longer have to “think” about what your next line is and it will stick with you forever. Don’t be discouraged when you initially forget it – it’s normal.
- Memorization gets easier the more you do it.
Meditate on the Word
- Like a cow chewing on the cud – ruminate on God’s Word
- Mumble it under your breath day and night
- Do it first to memorize, then do it after you have it memorized for self-edification and to edify others
- Get God’s Word deep into your bones!
- Joshua 1:8, Psalm 1:1-3, Psalm 119:97-100
Apply the Word
- Better to know ONE verse of the Bible and DO it than to know the whole thing and NOT do it.
- Leverage the power of accountability in community, join a small group! Ask them to hold you accountable for the changes you want to make based on what you’re learning in God’s Word. This is how we grow to become more like Christ.
- Click here to sign up for a small group at Vineyard Church.
- John 14:15, Matthew 7:24-27, James 1:22-25